Fragility


Of all reflections I have on many things every day there’s this one, that occures to me the most often - just how fragile are we, as humans. It struck me again today, following these events:  Yesterday I was on a outdoor picnic for several hours, and it was really cold outside. No wonder I felt a little sick today, since yesterday I never bothered to clothe myself well enough not to be cold. Yet it didn’t interrupt me in making yesterday arrangements for today, and having to call it off due to poor well-being. And here I am. Thinking how our health and well-being are so easily deteriorated, yet how easily we forget about it as long as it doesn’t regard us. We make future plans, arrange our lives with no place left for unexpected obstacles, like sickness, and when it eventually ruins our plans it is like a bolt from the blue. 



Komentarze

  1. I think it's a matter of getting used to something. If you get the same illness twice, it's usually not as bad. If someone live for 30 years far up north, he wouldn't freeze as bad as you would. And once cold occurs on daily basis, he could just take it for granted and make plans without acknowledging it, just like we take for granted hunger or hygiene. I think rapid changes in these plans is what humans are truly fragile against.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. We are fragile and we often forget about it, but we also sometimes forget about the fact, that our bodies can miraculously heal themselves.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. On the other hand, it's incredible how resistant humans are to adverse conditions. Think of all the people who survived Soviet or Nazi labour camps, having hardly anything to eat and working ten hours a day in extreme temperatures. And some of them even managed to come out of this hell with their psyche unscathed!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Aging - doom or an illness to cure?

Smart Homes a.k.a how the technology makes its presence everywhere we go

Driverless Cars - the way to get rid of traffic?